bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi i was self employed but packed my business in april 2010

Customer Question

Hi i was self employed but packed my business in april 2010 ,i was not making any money and could not pay my accountant,i thought that my accountant had finished off everything properly but it seems no tax return for 09/10 has been sent in ,i now face anagency trying to collect tax i do not feel i owe as it is an estimated tax bill plus late payment fines ,can you give me some help please ,i have been paying paye since june 10 thanks
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
You must appeal against the estimated assessment. You do this by a letter setting out the grounds for the appeal ie that the estimates are wrong. You must also rectify the lack of a 09/10 tax return by making one. Presumably you have a set of final self employment accounts.
However this appeal must be made to the relevant tax office, not some agency. Who exactly is dunning you for payment?
At this stage there is little more I can advise, but will be delighted to assist further if you wish to follow up on this thread.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks, ***** ***** send appeal letter back with tax return for 09/10?

In the words of Shakespeare 'If it were done t'were best done quickly!' I would advise get the appeal letter off pronto. It will take you time to organise a 09/10 return form. If you have the latter to hand, however, by all means do it all in the same envelope. After all, it saves a 50p stamp.

Thank you for your support.