TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I was born in Republic of Ireland and worked there as school

I was born in Republic of Ireland and worked there as school teacher being employed by Department of Education in Republic. I have for many years resided in Northern Ireland . Having now retired from teaching I receive pension from R of Ireland which is subjected to tax under PAYE.
Am I exempt from U K tax on this source under the R of Ireland / United Kingdom Double Taxation Agreement.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Take a look here, here and here.

The Article 18 text in the third link replaced the original Article 18 text in the second link in the UK/Republic of Ireland double tax treaty in 1998. Paragraph 2 deals with pensions. As far as your teaching pension is concerned, if it is what is called a government service pension, it will only be taxable in the country of origin (Eire). It could only be taxable in the UK if you were both a resident of and a national of the UK.

You should check with your pension payer or the Eire tax office to confirm that your teaching pension is a government service pension. Not all teaching pensions in the UK are treated as such.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.