TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Hi I cashed in a Pension with Rothersay Pension in 2009 for

Hi I cashed in a Pension with Rothersay Pension in 2009 for amount of £10,000 but the taxman took 75%from it in tsx £2,245.98 it think that wss too much to pay also i wkrked for a job agency for a week back in 2013 paid £34 tax not got back i wss unemployed in 2009 and now I stil am at the moment John Mcphilbin/Minehead
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
You can telephone or write to tell HMRC why you think you've paid too much tax on your earnings or pensions for the tax years from 6 April 2010. They may already have everything they need to check your claim. If not, they'll tell you what information they need. HMRC will send you a P800 Tax Calculation and any refund due.
There are time frames that must be met to claim any refund of an overpayment. For tax years 2009 to 10 your tax year ended 5 April 2010, you would have had to made your enquiry by 5 April 2014.
You can call the hotline though. 0300(###) ###-####is the number to call.