TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

hAVING A WET ROOM DONE IN A FEW WEEKS,I CANT GET INTO A BATH

Customer Question

hAVING A WET ROOM DONE IN A FEW WEEKS,I CANT GET INTO A BATH NOW I AM DISABLED,DO WE GET VAT ON ALL MATERIALS THAT HAVE BEEN ORDERED,WE HAD A QUOTE FOR £5300 THEY TOLD US WE ONLY GET VAT ON THE NEW TOILET &SINK,THANK YOU SO MUCH IF CAN CAN ANSWER THE WORRIES WE HAVE MRS MAUREEN CRANSTONE.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

You canom receive a zero-rate of VAT on the work if they install, extend or adapt your bathroom, washroom or lavatory. But the work must be necessary to suit your condition.

For the purposes of this relief, the following definitions apply:

• a bathroom includes a shower room
  • a washroom means a room that has a toilet or a washbasin (or both) but doesn't have a bath or a shower, or any cooking, sleeping or laundry facilities
  • a lavatory is a room with a toilet and maybe a washbasin

The VAT is zero rated on the items you mentioned and if thesupply is made by the company doing the work they can zero rate the supply.

A written declaration from from you would be needed to show that you are entitled to VAT relief.

A sample eligibility declaration for you to complete is shown on the following HMRC page:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/builders/disabled.htm#4

Your supplier will be able to explain to you the items and the services that will be covered by this.