taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I own a flat that my son and his fiancee are living in. My

Customer Question

I own a flat that my son and his fiancee are living in. My son has just finished his degree and is in the very early stages of setting up his own buisness so doesn`t have a regular income. His fiancee has recently secured part time work following her studies and is earning about £800 pcm. Would we start paying council tax because of their low income?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Your son and his fiancee would have to check with their local Council on what Council Tax reduction may be available to them because of low income.

There are certain criterion set by the Councils to determine whether one is eligible for reduction in Council Tax.

More information on this is available here

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I notice you have viewed my response to your question on council tax reduction (JACUSTOMER-5q9c51ms- Last Viewed on 10/4/2014 at 11:06 AM).

Just checking to see if you have any issues relating to your question that I may not have addressed.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to you.