bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

dear sir my wife and i are in our middle seventy's we live

Customer Question

dear sir my wife and i are in our middle seventy's we live in our sons house in rush green we do not pay the rent, but i am concerned about how much the council tax is which we can not afford we have just received what i would call a threatening letter, saying please pay £220 by the 8th oct and if we can not pay this the instalments plain would stop then we would have to pay£1315.40 , the monthly payments are £170 which we can not afford in the first place and then said if not paid we will get a court summons for £93, last year my wife went through a major cancer operation and is trying hard to live with what she had done i wonder if we could be helped, thank you ***** *****,,
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello John, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
May I suggest that the quickest way to solve your problems would be to go to your nearest Citizens' Advice Bureau. The CAB are well used to dealing with this sort of matter and have specialists on tap to assist.
It is possible that you and your wife may be entitled to Pension Credits just for starters. Again the CABs are well up to speed on this also. The CAB could possibly sort you out much faster and all in one go too.
The local authority is quite within their rights to demand full settlement of the whole year's council tax if monthly payments are not maintained. At this stage write them a holding letter saying that you \r wife has severe health problems and that you are taking fuller and better advice.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade, but maybe I have lent you an umbrella to get you down to the local CAB!
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.
As an afterthought the CAB can also guide you towards the other social security payments to which you may be entitled eg Universal Credit.