bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

i AM A 75 YEAR OLD PENSIONER, RETIRED 2001 @61. i HAVE A COMPANY

Customer Question

i AM A 75 YEAR OLD PENSIONER, RETIRED 2001 @61. i HAVE A COMPANY PENSION WHICH i LIVED ON UNTIL i RECIEVED MY STATE PENSION @65 IN 2004/5. i ACTUALLY RECIEVED A TAX REBATE IN 2010 FOR £1200. IN 2011. IN 2011 HMRC CLAIMED I UNDERPAYED £1000 FOLLOWED IN 2012 BY REVISION TO £2600. THEIR LETTER USED PHRASE CODE WILL BE ADJUSTED AND ARREARS WILL BE CLEARED BY NEXT YEAR. BY 2013THIS HAD RAISED TO £4400. I WRITE AND PHONE COMPLAINING. SPOKE WITH HMRC OFFICER WHO SAID IT WAS THEIR FAULT AND HE WOULD SPEAK TO SUPERVISOR.NOW 2014 FIGURE IS £5400, AND I HAVE RECIEVED A CHEQUE FOR £300 FOR OVERPAID TAX! NOW THREATENED WITH DEBT COLLECTORS. BEEN TO CAB AND EVENTUALLY GOT A 1 TO 1 WITH HMRC BE MEETING ENDED WHEN THEIR COMPUTER CRASHED. HAVE ANOTHER MEETING THIS FRIDAY. I FEEL THEY ARE NEGLIGENT, AND NOT FOLLOWING THEIR LAID DOWN COMPLAINTS PROCEEDURE. AM 75 AND VERY WORRIED. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
The reference to debt collectors is an automatic computer generated system implemented when arrears are on the record. Should you be contacted by debt collectors just tell them in writing that nothing is owning and that any recovery action will be most vigorously defended.
Write to your tax office pointing out that they that have made all the errors and have accepted that this is the situation and have refunded overpaid tax to you. I would suggest that you do not attend such a meeting without a professional adviser. There is far too much chance of a misunderstanding in verbal communications if you try to do this alone.
What should have happened when your State Pension (SP) kicked in is that HMRC should have reduced your tax code to account for the SP, which although taxable, is paid gross. Their letter about code adjustment refers to the recovery of unpaid taxes up tp GBP 3000 which can also be done by code number adjustment. However, your tax office have clearly made a dog's breakfast of the whole affair and must be held to account for their incompetence. I would suggest that you employ a local, trusted professional to go into bat for you in this matter.
I do hope I have helped point you in the right direction.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for your advice. I have had some advise from CAB but get the feeling it's out of their area of expertise. The suggestion re having an advisor with me is good as I do feel somewhat intimidated. Will try to find a tax advisor locally, not easy in a rural area.
Thank you for your excellent support.
I am surprised at your comment about your local CAB. They usually have experts on tap as it were. Must have been their day off!