TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I AM A BLUE BADGE HOLDER.85 YEARS OLD.BAD KNEES AND A HIP ARE

I AM A BLUE BADGE HOLDER.85 YEARS OLD.BAD KNEES AND A HIP ARE THE MAIN REASONS.I AM REGISTERED DISABLED BECAUSE OF MY HEARING , THIS IS HEREDITY ,I AM DEAF IN HIGH FREQUENCIES , I RECENTLY HAD MY KITCHEN EXTENDED AND REDESIGNED. I AM NOW ABLE TO GET ABOUT EASIER.THE KITCHEN WAS DESIGNED TO SUIT MY NEEDS BY MAGNET WHO CONTACTED THE TAX PEOPLE .THEY TOLD THEM THAT I AM NOT ENTITLED TO ANY VAT REBATE.THE COST WAS £8,500,WERE THE TAX PEOPLE CORRECT.?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I'm looking at your question now.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I'm afraid that the tax office is correct and that you aren't normally entitled to relief from VAT for the your kitchen extension and its redesign if you are disabled.

Take a look at VAT Notice 701/7 here which deals with VAT reliefs for disabled people generally (section 6 on building works) and here (section 23 for kitchens) for the rules on VAT reliefs for disabled people. There can be relief for the cost of adaptations specifically designed for disabled people.

I'm sorry I cannot give you a positive answer. Let me know if you have any further questions.