TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Hello, I've just been subject to a finally rigorous HMRC compliance

Hello, I've just been subject to a finally rigorous HMRC compliance investigation culminating in an overview in July. In early September my accountant, who was present at the interview, telephoned the tax compliance officer. She stated she was happy with the information provided. The accountant then pressed her for a notice of closure, as he explained he wouldn't be paid for his work until the notice was provided, which she confirmed she would do. This was all by phone. That is now 7 weeks past and as yet no notice of closure. Neither has there been any other correspondence whatsoever. Should this be anything to be concerned about? The tax figure she arrived at re the tax year under investigation was paid.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Generally, a closure notice would be expected within 2 weeks. I would think a letter requesting the notice is within order given the 7 weeks you have waited already.
I would not think you would have anything to worry about especially as the tax was paid (retain your proof of that)but it could be that the item was either not completed or not for some reason received by post.