TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

im an employee and have had a £99.0 which i paid late and had

im an employee and have had a £99.0 which i paid late and had a second bill for a £100 that i paid and i have been getting demands for late payment and letters giving new balances the last but one was for £1.80 then i just got one for £2080.0 im at my wits end i am a shop cleaner i dont have this money and no one is listening to me I HAVE ONE JOB AS A CLEANER AN EMPLOYEE CAN YOU ADVISE ME PLEASE.???
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Can you tell me what tax years you have received demands for please. When you look at them can you tell if it is tax or penalties you appear to owe or some of each. If any of the sum HMRC want you to pay, can you tell how much is for late or non-submission of tax returns and how much is for late payment of tax?

For the tax years that HMRC say you owe them for what you were you doing work wise? Were you employed or self-employed? Did you or do you have any other sources of income at all, eg pensions. Are you able to scan and upload any of the demandsto me or, if not, tell me exactly what wording is on the demands next to each figure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

tax calc2011-12 .sa302 minus personal allw£7,475 income tax due 00

tax return 5/4/2012 april/01/2014 i have paid late fees £198.0

i was and am employed by same company as a cleaner

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You say in your question that you had had a demand for £2,080.0. Now you say its £198.0. Which is the correct figure? When did you complete and submit the 2012 tax return? Did you complete a paper form? Was that the first one you have had to complete? The tax return would have been issued originally in April 2012. Did you move home around that time so that you didn't received the return?

Do the income and tax deduction figures on the SA302 match your P60 which would have been given to you by your employer in April 2012? How much did you earn in 2011/12? Was any tax deducted from your pay? Was that your only source of income in the 2011/12 tax year?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi tony are you still there my screen went blank

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
I'm still here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

great its hard to contact hmrc as we dont have tax offices any more

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
I know, that is a problem.

This is what I asked for last time:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im sorry £2080 is the bill now 198.0was a mix of two payments for late tax return 2012 i was told that it was a mistake and i shuld not have recived a self assesment by my pay office i am unable to find the documents my source of income in 2012 was from the range who i have worked for for 5 yearsnone was deducted in 2012 because they said i did not earn enough i got chilld tax credit which went on to working tax credit this was all i had coming in to the house

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
This is what I was going to day before your last post:

I'm trying to find out if this is just a penalty issue as opposed to HMRC saying you owe tax as well. I think it probably is.

You can read about how to appeal against penalties here and the appeal form can be found here. Keep a copy of anything you send to the tax office. As HMRC say they don't have your return, call them on the number here and ask them exactly what they want you to do as you have submitted the tax return. If they want you to complete another return, then ask for another form. I'd also escalate the matter into a complaint so that your case gets looked at a more senior level. The complaints procedure is here. You can do that on the phone at the same time as you call them about the missing tax return.

What I cannot understand is why you have been issued with a tax return at all and you might ask the complaints manager to take a look at that. Penalties can be difficult to get overturned but if you get a complaints manager who takes a pragmatic view on this, you might get them cancelled. I would suggest you do go to see the CAB and your MP who may be able to help. You should tell the HMRC complaints manager that you are taking advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau and you will be taking the matter up with your MP. It's amazing what that can do to the tax office.

In response to your last post:

If no tax was deducted from your earnings, then you may have a liability. Tax credits are not taxable income. I think you need to take any paperwork you have to the CAB. Unless I can see it its pretty much impossible for to tell what the problem is. What i can tell you is that when a tax return is 12 months late, the penalties will amount to £1,600 (£100 + £900 + £300 + £300) regardless of any tax being owed or not.

I'm quite happy for you to put this on hold and come back to me when you can get more information from the tax office as to what the £2,080 is (tax or penalties or both) and why you appear to have tax to pay if your income was below the point at which you start to pay tax. Calll the tax office tomorrow and get chapter and verse from them and then tell me what they said. Alternatively, go to the CAB who will probably want you to get the same information before they can help you.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.