Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

How do you file a return for years 2008/2009 and 2009/2010?

How do you file a return for years 2008/2009 and 2009/2010? It's my calculation that no tax is owing. I have filed returns for subsequent years but had overlooked filing the previous returns. I can't now seem to file online
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
These will have to be filed on manual returns as the online system will not support early year files.(it only supports the preceding 3 years (so back to 2011/2012)
You will either need to telephone HMRC and ask them to issue these to you, or if you advise what pages you need with each return, I would be happy to provide you with links to each of the main return and the relevant pages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Sam. What is the difference between manual returns and online forms?

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
The manual returns are the paper copies, which some individuals still prefer to use, but for earlier tax years (which are late) they are mandatory.
So it means you have to fill them in by hand and post them to HMRC
You still tailor make the return to your needs, just the main return has between 8-10 pages and the other additional pages,such as employment/self employment/UK property has 1-2 pages