Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I think I might actually be owed money in relation to pension

I think I might actually be owed money in relation to pension payments tax relief. It's my understanding that by filing late, I won't be entitled to a refund. Is that correct?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question and for asking for me.
That's not necessarily so, but there are restrictions which see only the last 4 years possible to claim a refund on through self assessment - so back to 2010/2011 (you have until 31/01/2015 to claim this earliest year)
Anything before this, I am afraid will be lost. But if those dates and after, are relevant for you, then filing late will not jeopardise the claim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks - yet it is only 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 as I have filed my other returns. Do the Revenue generally process late returns normally (subject obviously to any payment of a penalty/interest)? I see that I have already paid in subsequent years the £200 penalty for late filing of these returns.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Then whilst there will be no refund made - HMRC will still process the information provided, (they just raise a special assessment for internal purposes only) and as long as there is no tax due there will be no interest or penalties for 2008/2009 or 2009/2010, as the £100 late filing penalty (even when no tax was due) did not start to affect tax returns until after 06/04/2010
Previously the £100 was only ever charged when there was a tax liability owed to HMRC. As this will not be the case (even though they will not process any tax refund) you should have no further charges for penalties arising on these two early tax years.