Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have retired but still work as an hourly paid lecturer at

I have retired but still work as an hourly paid lecturer at my old university, where they take off my tax and NI contributions. I also do some private teaching and need to know how I go about paying the tax on this. I think this is called freelance teaching so I don't think I need to pay any more NI contributions but am not sure.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
You will need to register as self employed for the private teaching, and I have added a link here which allows you to register this via HMRC online.
https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/newbusiness
After each 5th April HMRC will then request that you fill in a self assessment tax return, on which you will declare ALL income for each year.
They will then advise what tax you owe which has to be paid by the following 31st Jan (at the latest)
If you are 65 or over, then you will have no National Insurance to pay, but if you are under, then National Insurance (Class 2 and Class 4)may still be due on this self employment, unless you already exceed the higher rate of contributions through the university lecturing.
The higher rate is £41,450 or your self employed income is less than £7755 (when you will be exempt)
Let me know if you have any follow up questions.