TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have been offered a job as a consultant. Can anyone help

I have been offered a job as a consultant. Can anyone help with how this is taxed?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are not an employee but you are offering your services as a consultant then you would be self employed. If you work for yourself in the UK, or set up your own business in the UK, you are 'self-employed'. You must register with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and pay your own tax and National Insurance.
If you do not have a National Insurance number, you will need to apply for one by phoning Jobcentre Plus on Tel: 0845(###) ###-####
If you work for yourself you pay tax by filling in a form called a Self Assessment tax return once a year to tell HMRC what you have earned.
You usually pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions to HMRC directly and Class 4 National Insurance contributions through Self Assessment by completing your tax return.
The following is an url for self employed individuals:
https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself
You will first need to determine that you will not be an employee.