bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Need urgent help with the vat return. I did not include in

Customer Question

Need urgent help with the vat return.
I did not include in my Vat calculation the MOT and other payments that I made for other services that are not including vat.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I assume that you have already transmitted the return to HMRC. It's a Dad's Army 'Don't panic!' situation. I assume you mean in the Input and Output boxes at the lower half of the return [boxes 6 - 9]. I would not be over concerned, providing the actual Output and Input Taxes are correctly entered in boxes 1 - 4 [the on line system calculates Box 5 for you automatically].

If you look at the guidance notes you will see that if you inadvertently make a minor error, even in the boxes 1 - 4 area, just correct it in the next quarterly return. It makes it much easier if you just include all expenditure in Box 7, remembering, of course, to split off EU acquisitions in Box 9.

I do hope I have set your mind at rest on this matter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, ***** ***** already sent 2 Vat Returns.

Should I correct them using the form VAT652, or can I just adjust the amount in the box 7 in the next Vat Return?

Just do an adjustment in Box 7 next time around.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I would like to ask, if I have to enrol for VAT EU Refunds, before to submit the Vat Return, because I have some diesel bought from other EU Member States used for business purposes.

To understand better, the company is providing transport services for other companies registered in the UK, but sometimes the services must to be render outside the UK.

No, the forms will come automatically if you have any entries in the EU bits of the form. You use them to confirm reclaim of foreign VAT charged.
Here is the Gov UK advice on the application of UK VAT to sales outside the UK. You will see that some of these may be zero rated ie subject to VAT, but at a rate of 0%:
'If you sell, supply or transfer goods out of the UK to someone in another country you may need to charge VAT on them. Generally speaking, you can zero-rate supplies exported outside the European Union (EU), or sent to someone who’s registered for VAT in another EU country.
If you sell goods or services to someone in another EU country, who isn’t VAT registered, you charge VAT in the normal way. Sales to another country inside the EU are called ‘dispatches’ or ‘removals’. ‘Exports’ describes sales to a country outside the EU.'
I do hope I have enlightened you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

I just contact HMRC regarding the Vat paid on diesel while transit the EU countries.

They said I should claim that VAT separately using VAT EU Refund< but when I asked you few weeks ago if I should enrol for VAT EU Refunds, before to submit the Vat Return you gave me this answer:

"No, the forms will come automatically if you have any entries in the EU bits of the form. You use them to confirm reclaim of foreign VAT charged."

I was not worried because your answer and now I have to send the Vat return and I`m still confused.

Please get back to me asap and help me to understand the situation.

As far as I am aware the EU sales lists will begin to me sent automatically once you begin to claim back VAT from supplies from other member states within the EU. You do not submit them at the same time as your normal quarterly return. You cannot do that anyway as the VAT return must be done on line and the EU sales list is a manual form.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please try to explain to me.

Cam I claim that VAT paid on diesel when transit any other EU countries or not?

Of course you can.