TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

why do I pay more tax on my wage of 26,000 when I am the only

why do I pay more tax on my wage of 26,000 when I am the only one earning wage when if my wife and I where earning 13,500 each we would only pay tax on 7,000
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Individuals are taxed independently of one another, even if they are married. Each person under 65 is entitled to a personal allowance of £10,000 so that the first £10,000 of their income is tax free. As of now, you cannot use any of your wife's personal allowance which she doesn't use. However, from April 2015, you will be able to have £1,050 of your wife's personal allowance transferred to you if she doesn't have enough taxable income to use it and you can read about that here.

Tax credits awards are based on joint incomes.

I hope this clarifies your situation which is the same for millions of other people so you are not alone in what you consider to be an unfair state of affairs.