taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am buying a business at an agreed value of £27000. I need

I am buying a business at an agreed value of £27000. I need to negotiate the apportionment of the good will and fixtures and fittings. What would you recommend the apportionment to be?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise if you are going to trade as LTD company or self employed sole trader?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be trading as a Ltd company

Thank you for your reply...

Tax relief for Goodwill is provided in two ways...
If you are trading as a sole trader (unincorporated business) then goodwill is taxed under CGT rules.

If you are a LTD company, you can wtite off goodwill over a period of 20 years and it is allowable as a tax deduction for corporation tax purposes.

Being a LTD company, it would really not matter much whether goodwill was £15k of £20k out of a total price of £27k. You have to make sure that your fixtures and fittings are not overstated on a practical note. My advice would be to have a split that is fair and equitable.

Both lots of capital expense would give you tax relief against trading profits.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.