TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I have been registered under the CIS construction scheme since

I have been registered under the CIS construction scheme since January 2014, I have a UTR number and have been having tax deducted at 20% am I due a refund?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are registered the contractor takes off an amount (currently 20 per cent) before they pay you and they must pay this over to HMRC. HMRC will set any deductions that have already been made from your payments against this bill.
You'll need to complete a Self Assessment tax return at the end of the year. HMRC will work out your tax bill and set any deductions you've had made against it. This will show whether you're due a refund or you need to make further payments.