bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have earned £5,040 extra since 2003 for wedding fees at work.

Customer Question

I have earned £5,040 extra since 2003 for wedding fees at work. there have been 84 weddings at £60 a time, on average 4 to 8 weddings a year, I was unaware I needed to inform the tax office, now I am concerned that I can get into trouble for this, please help me.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. The news I bring will not, I fear, be to your liking.
You will have to make your peace with your tax inspector. You must write to HMRC and advise then of this additional source of income which you have not declared. Having made that declaration you will, of course, have to pay any additional tax and NI contributions required. furthermore, you may be charged penalties for failing to declare. You could be in for a considerable bill.
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Thank you for your support.
You can read details of penalties here:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/dealingwith/penalties-hmrc-charge.htm