taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My wife is self employed and pays the lower rate of tax via

My wife is self employed and pays the lower rate of tax via self assessment. She is Brazilian but a couple of years ago obtained UK citizenship and lives in the UK. A few years ago, she transferred some money to Brazil and brought a plot of land. She has now sold this (for no profit) and wishes to transfer the money back - it equeates to about 9500 pounds. My question is whether she needs to pay tax on this after she transfers it?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

If your wife transferred money out of the UK and this money is now being brought back then there is no tax to pay on it. You have stated there is no gain from sale of land.

She does not have to report it on her tax return.

I hope this is helpful.

I hope this is helpful.
Experience: FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.