bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Employee have requested shares in Co. X (which is based in

Customer Question

Employee have requested shares in Co. X (which is based in Ireland) so Co X will set up a share option scheme.
What are the tax implications and reporting requirements for company X under French and Irish law and also for the employees taking part in such scheme? Re: an employee based in Ireland and an employee based in France?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Here are the basic rulws under Irish taxation from the Irish Government Citizens' Information;
'Approved Profit Sharing Schemes
Approved Profit Sharing Schemes allow an employer to give an employee shares in the company up to a maximum value of €12,700 per year tax-free. Approved Profit Sharing Schemes are subject to certain conditions set out in legislation and administered by the Revenue Commissioners.
Providing the scheme meets the required conditions, an employee will pay no tax on shares up to a maximum value of €12,700 per year. The employer must hold the shares for a period of time (called the "retention period") and the employee must not dispose of the shares before three years. If an employee disposes of shares before this time, he or she is liable to pay income tax on whichever is the lower of the following:
The market value of the shares when they were given to the employee or,
The value of the shares at the time of sale
Approved Profit Sharing Schemes are subject to a number of conditions that should be checked with the Revenue Commissioners. More information can be found in Revenue's publication Approved Profit Sharing Schemes IT62.'
French taxation is excessively complicated and local professional advice should always be sought. General advice can be found from Russel Bedford [Business Consultants] here:
http://www.russellbedford.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=88:feature-france
It would appear that up to 30% of earned income by an expat can be so treated, but, as always, with French taxation, check it out locally.
I do I have helped point you in the right direction in this matter.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith, what additional information are you requesting for the question below? Thanks

Hi Keith, a CGT related question is where:

It is now year 2014. Tom is aged 64 and his wife, Mary is 56.They are thinking ahead re: retirement and would like to transfer shares in their Irish co. to their children over the following periods:

In 2015, John will transfer a 10% shareholding in the Irish co. to his daughter, Louise and his wife, Mary will transfer a 10% shareholding in the Irish co. to the son Danny.

In 2017, John will transfer a 15% shareholding to Louise and Mary will transfer a 15% shareholding to Danny.

John and Mary will each transfer their remaining shareholdings in the Irish co. to Danny and Louise on their respective deaths.

1/ Tom and Joe wish to know what are the taxation consequences associated with transferring their wealth in the above manner which is proposing the transfers to happen in 2015 and 2017.

2/ Is there any way this proposal could be altered to reduce the tax COSTS?

I am sorry, but this question is on an entirely different subject ans under Just Answer protocol should comprise a new question.