bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have received my

Customer Question

I have received my tax summery and there is an entry,
Total income from employment,
As I am retired what does this mean
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
The trite answer is as long as the proverbial piece of string. However, we must look at it more closely.
It could be a number of things from a simple error in your tax office putting say pension income in the wrong place or something more serious like HMRC assuming that you have an income from employment. HMRC are very good at assuming and in my experience their assumptions are invariable incorrect and always in favour of the taxation authorities. I recall my then Father-in Law receiving a string of letters from the then Inland Revenue asking him if he had declared all his income for tax purposes. Eventually he got fed up with this and told them he was not very good at guessing games and would they please come to the point. It transpired that a friend had come into a lot of money and when asked from when it came said that my F-i-L had given it to him. Well that was true up to a point, but F-i-L had actually been the executor of somebody's will and the Revenue had, as usual, jumped to the wrong conclusion and wasted everybody's time into the bargain.
So what to do? Well check it through, if the final totals agree with the realities of your income eg occupational, State or private pensions or a combination thereof plus investment income, dividends, bank and Building Society interest etc there is nothing to really worry about although a polite letter telling your tax office where the income should actually be might be an idea.
If it is incorrect then you must appeal against the summary. This is done initially by simply writing a letter to your tax office telling them of the mistakes and asking for them to be corrected.
I do hope i have been able to shed some light on the current situation. It could all just be an honest mistake, but as with all matters from HMRC the motto is check, check and double check, check and check again!
Thank you for your support.
I hope that after checking all is well on your tax account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I
Delighted to be of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not want to pay a monthly charge. I have received your answer. I will not be using the service again.
This is actually a matter for Just Answer administration, but lots of questioners are not on monthly subscription and just make a one off charge per query.
Post to clear my question list. A Just Answer site glitch.