TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am 65 my partner is 68 and we are both in receipt of a state

I am 65 my partner is 68 and we are both in receipt of a state pension. If we married how would that affect our pensions/tax.etc? We both have occuaptional pensions also.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

You won't qualify for any extra tax allowances if you get married. Married couple's allowances is only available to those where one or both of the parties were born before 6 April 1935.

As you are both over pension age, you won't lose any of your state pension by getting married and, in the event of one of you passing away, the surviving spouse may be able to claim some your deceased spouse's additional pension. There may have been a loss of some state pension being received by reason of a former spouse's national insurance contribution record and you remarried before you reached state pension age.

Take a look here and here for information on state pensions and marriage.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - it's good to know that I won't lose any money...x

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and good luck.