bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just finished working for my employer. I was paid a

Customer Question

I have just finished working for my employer. I was paid a salary with a travel allowance as part of my salary package, paid monthly. On my final payslip I have been paid a lesser proportion of my travel allowance (56% of normal month) than my salary (70% of normal month, which is correct). I also had some holidays owed which I have been paid for at my base salary rate but not including the travel allowance. Is what I have been paid correct?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
I would suggest that the receipt of outstanding holiday pay would be net of any travel allowance and at base salary rate, so that would seem to be correct. The travel allowance for a 'normal' month adjusted for cessation date would, on the face of it, appear to be incorrect. One might anticipate that it would mirror the wages. However, a great deal depends upon the interpretation of the employer's travel allowance rules. Perhaps it has been abated because you were not required to travel during the last knockings of your employment. That might be the reason. It should, I suggest, be taken up with your employer, but I note that you have already queried the computation.
Frankly we are in a cleft stick here and cannot move forward until your late employer responds. Perhaps you were on holiday for your last few days; just a suggestion, but it might well explain the discrepancy.
That is, as you will appreciate, just about as far as I can go on this question until a response is received. I do hope I have helped.
Thank you for your support.
I am so sorry that I could not be more specific.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Morning,

I did not have any holidays in the weeks prior to my last day so this is not the reason.

I have however had a response to my query on the calculation of my last pay, which was not a too thinly veiled threat that they had calculated it correctly and in fact they had overpaid me 11 months previously (which I do not agree with) and I could accept my final pay as is or they would review my whole salary payment history. I do not have the time or the money to challenge them especially if the only option was to go to an employment tribunal, which I think is what they bank on.

Thank you for your help.

I had an employer underpaid me when they discharged me. I didn't trust the organisation one iota so immediately swore out a summons in the Sheriff Court as a small debt claim. An Edinburgh firm of solicitors came on to me telling me that my claim was spurious, but the legal executive there to whom I spoke on the telephone told me that they were only acting on client's instructions and that they were on a hiding to nothing defending a claim for unpaid wages as the Court would always be against them and they would inevitably loose. The ex employer settled and, of course, there was no Income Tax on these wages as it was Court awarded damages!
You may wish to have a re-think!