bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

my tax return quotes employment, but I have not had employment

Customer Question

my tax return quotes employment, but I have not had employment for decades
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Do you mean HMRC's statement rather than your tax return form? Do you have other income and that put under the wrong heading by your tax office. Alternatively do you have pensions in issue or income from other sources incorrectly classified?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I am in my eighties, and unemployed (for at least twenty years) I am puzzled by a tax demand related to employment -I hope the tax will be deducted at (the imaginary) source.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
I suspect that you have probably received one of these confusing letters that HMRC are now sending out, the main message of which is to tell you how your taxes are being spent. It also tells you what your tax details were for a year long past. If this is one of those you need do nothing bar filing it. Might be a good idea to check if HMRC do actually have the figures correct, that's if your files go back that far. It seems that older people in particular are being bombarded with these letters which, as you can imagine, are causing confusion all over the country. You probably have not received a tax demand at all. To unscrable the mess if it is a tax demand you will have to appeal against it which you do by means of a legtter to the tax office which sent it originally.
Your tax return is a form sent out annually to some people to declare their income for the previous tax year. That would be a form in the SA 100 series. If it is one of those then HMRC want a tax return from you.