bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

There are 2 limited UK companies under common control of individual

Customer Question

There are 2 limited UK companies under common control of individual shareholders . Company A is profitable but company B is loss making , can the loss in company B be used for tax relief in Company A ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Sorry no, they are not part of a Company Group. Were this so losses can be relieved upwards, downwards and side ways, but they are not.
However, all is not lost. Company B merely issues an invoice to Company A for services. This reduces B's losses and ditto Company A's profits. Simple, as the Mercat in the TV advert would say.
This is exactly how the big boys like Amazon, Starbucks and Vodafone for example remove profits from the UK to tax havens like Gibraltar and the Turks and Caicos Islands, although the Chancellor has just put a brake on that for multi nationals in his Autumn Statement.
I do hope I have shed some light on your problem and shown you a way forward.
Thank you for your support.