TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My husband who is deaf has just received a summary from the

My husband who is deaf has just received a summary from the tax office, he has not had one before, he has the national pension plus a small war pension(which not taxable) plus a small Air Force pension he was in the Air Force for twelve years so it is not a full pension , plus a pension from his job that he worked in for twenty years retiring with ill health at fifty seven.according to this letter his subtotal of pensions is emploment 1470.00, from hisstate pension 8895.64and other pension income 31371..33. Making a total of 41746.97. This is not right at all as with all his pensions added together it has never been more than 16000. He does not have another job , please can you help us make sense of this.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

First of all, the income summary your husband has received will not result in a tax demand.

As you can see here, the government is issuing these summaries to millions of taxpayers to show them how their tax is spent. As I don't have access to your husband's tax file, I cannot tell you how the income figures which appear on his summary have been arrived at but there does appear to be a significant discrepancy. This is not the first such discrepancy I've seen on these summaries and HMRC's advice is to contact them so that they can put your mind at rest. As I said above, this summary is not a tax demand.

You can contact the tax office on the number here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.