Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I'm been working overseas since 2005 and have some savings

I'm been working overseas since 2005 and have some savings in an off-shore account. I'm returning to the UK to work.
Will I have any tax liability with bringing my savings into the UK?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
No liability at all, in bringing the money into the UK, as this was money saved whilst abroad, or taken out with you from the UK.
The only tax consideration you will have is any interest that is earned on these savings AFTER you have returned to the UK, whether an offshore, or UK bank/building society account, that will then have a UK tax consideration.
Let me know if you have any follow up questions on the advise provided.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Sam,

I will be returning in January on the 12th, will the HRMC want to check my income in this tax year 2014/2015? I worked for 6 months in Thailand (taxes paid).

Will I need to complete a self assessment?

Kind regards,

Mark.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mark
As you now asking for additional information, I have submitted an additional information request
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HI ark
I appreciate the fact you did not want to make use of the additional services, but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service I provided for your original question, as this ensures Just Answer credit me for my time.