Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If I set up an online/web store company in Gibraltar that exports

Customer Question

If I set up an online/web store company in Gibraltar that exports goods from Gibraltar to UK customers who are not registered for VAT can I invoice them VAT free?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
As long as those goods actually originate from Gibraltar (rather than having been placed there in the first place from the UK , or merely for a web store front purpose then yes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The goods will not be manufactured there but in other countries, e.g. China, other EU countries but not in the UK etc.. Any chance of a link to the relevant "law".

Ta.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi William
Thanks for your response
That's fine then
From a website promoting e trade from Gibraltar
https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/e-business/why-gibraltar
Then from HMRC - scroll down to Sales to the UK from outside the EU
https://www.gov.uk/vat-what-to-do-if-youre-an-overseas-business-selling-goods-in-the-uk
As your business will be outside of the EU, this applies to you.
Just note that the customer may have import duty to consider
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again

Thanks but it looks like if total sales are greater than £70K/year, which is quite low, you have to register for VAT in the UK and charge your non registered customers VAT and pay it over to HMRC.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
Yes, but then these sales would NOT fall under the normal VAT rules or distance selling (which these are neither) and your business would not exist in the UK but outside of the EU. (based on what you advise)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You've lost me with the last response. Embarassed

If the Gib based company had sales over £70K to the UK would it have to register for VAT in the UK and charge UK based non-registered customers VAT?

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
No, as its not UK based -