bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am non resident and not ordinarily resident in UK since i965.

Customer Question

I am non resident and not ordinarily resident in UK since i965. Regular P60 nil tax. My Ghost Writer tells me I have to pay VAT on her Fee. Is this correct? retired to Phuket 1994, no UK income except Pension company, and OAP frozen. Last visit to UK was to see the Queen 2005 and collect my MBE. Not possible for me to travel beyond Bangkok. Age 78. 18 - 07 - 36.
Many thanks Alan Cooke
Phuket
Thailand
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alan, Sawaat de kraap. I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I am answering you from Bangkok where I am on holiday. Congratulations on your MBE; my mother always described the honour as the Mouldy Boiled Egg as opposed to the Old Boiled Egg. She always was fastidious. Good thing you did not get it over here or it would have been the Ambassador doing the investiture. My boss's OBE was in Nepal. The news I bring will not, I fear, fill you with happiness. \

If your ghost writer is resident in the UK and providing a service from the UK and registered for VAT then I regret to have to tell you that the place of supply is the UK and her supply is not one which is zero rated. If you really want a 'wet towel round the head and a wade through chunks of VAT speak' have a look at:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/int-serv-abroad.htm Were it goods being exported that would be an entirely different kettle of fish, but unfortunately for you that is not the case here.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade. I am out just now to Lotus/Tesco, back after lunch, Thai time, if you have any follow up enquiries.

Carp khun ma kraap!