TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Hi I have been working in Saudi for 3 years.if I come home(uk)before

Hi I have been working in Saudi for 3 years.if I come home(uk)before April will I be liable to pay tax from this year.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Assuming you have maintained your non-UK resident status by restricting the number of days you have spent in the UK since you left, you should qualify for split year treatment for tax purposes in the tax year of your return to the UK. This means that the tax year of your return to the UK will be split into two periods, one starting from 6 April and ending around the time of your last day abroad and the second starting around the time of your return to the UK and ending on the following 5 April. Only UK source income will be taxable for the first period. For the second period, you will be taxable on your worldwide income assuming you are UK domiciled.

Take a look at RDR3 here and here for information on the statutory residence test and here for some useful flowcharts.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks for quick response. So I left uk in Oct 2011 and am looking to return in feb 2015.I have been in uk for less than 50 days each year.so what you are saying is I will be lible for tax from oct 2014?is this right?If so would I be better waiting and coming home in April.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
If you return to the UK in February 2015, you will be taxable in the UK from that time. So, assuming you are leaving the Saudi job, all the earnings from October 2011 to February 2015 will not be taxable in the UK. I don't see why you think you would be taxable from October 2014 as that is before you intend to return to the UK.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.