taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hi, I am a 57 yr old woman.Born & worked in England.Have Nat

Hi, I am a 57 yr old woman.Born & worked in England.Have Nat Ins No.Living abroad for 7yrs,not working,not paying tax.Now separating from husband & need to cash in pension to buy house on return to England.
How do I get tax number/references to be able to do this in April according to new tax situation.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me... have you filed a tax return before you went to live abroad?
When do you propose returning to the UK?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a small business (facial injectables) before leaving & filed usual end of year accounts before leaving.

Hoping to return Feb/March

Elaine, thank you for your reply.

As you have filed your accounts and tax returns in the past, you would already have a UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number. Once you have been given a UTR it stays with you forever just like your NI number.

Your original question was "How do I get tax number/references to be able to do this in April according to new tax situation".

If you have forgotten your UTR number (10 digit number e.g. 12345 67890), then upon your return to the UK you should contact HMRC and they will send your UTR number in the post. You can contact HMRC Self Assessment Helpline on 0300(###) ###-####

More information on this can also be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/self-assessment

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/wat-phone-number-do-u-call-up-to-get-ur-utr-number/23463179

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.