bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Dear Sir I am a South African Resident, Living in South

Customer Question

Dear Sir
I am a South African Resident, Living in South Africa.
I have a UK bank account from 10 years back when I lived and worked in the UK.
I no longer have UK residency.
I work for a company in Singapore Full Time.
At the moment I am taxed here in South Africa.
I would like to move my billing address to the UK but still working from South Africa.
Will I be Taxed in the UK on my earnings?
Stuart
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello Stuart, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
When you left the UK did you submit a form P85 to your UK tax office? If you did not then you should do so immediately, Fortunately there is no time limit and the form is available and can be filed on line. On receipt of the P85 HMRC will classify you as non resident for the tax year after the date of departure and split the year of leaving into two portions, one resident and one non resident.
As a non resident using an UK accommodation address would not in my opinion expose you to UK taxation as none of your business activities are conducted in the UK. I would advise you to retain records of what you are doing just in case of an enquiry from taxation authorities. You are, of course, liable to UK Income Tax on any interest earned on your UK bank deposits, but usually deposit takers deduct tax at 20% unless advised to the contrary so that should not be a worry. Furthermore, if you are a British Citizen, you will be entitled to a Personal Allowance, currently 10K, year by year.
I do hope I have set your mind at rest over this matter. If you make visits to the UK you should ensure that they do not exceed 91 days in any one tax year. Although these 91 days can be averaged out over four years most experts on this site would advise you never to breach the 91 day rule.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Keith

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure about the P85 form, but at the time we had a UK accountant dealing with our Tax so I will assume she took care of this as it was all above board.

I am unfortunately not a British Citizen and had a residency permit granted thru' the Ancestor Visa system. This has fallen away due to us now living back in SA.

I think you have answered my question fully as my biggest concern was being lumped with a Tax Bill from both Countries. I pay the full tax amount here in South Africa but with the Rand under pressure, I would like to have my USD paid into the UK.

Thanks again for the service and have a great 2015.

Stuart

Well, it won't cost you a bean to send in another P85 Stuart, belt and braces you know!

There is a Double taxation Treaty in force between the UK and South Africa the purpose of which is to ensure that the same income stream is not taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed against the liability in the other so you would not get taxed twice anyway, save on differential tax rates.

By the by, you would appear to be entitled to the Personal Allowance, have a look at HMRC information sheet RDRN10340!

Thank you for your excellent support. I was last in South Africa in a Joburg suburb just before apartheid ended and was astonished that the indigenous population were surprised when we said please or thank you. On my return I mentioned this to a friend who had been brought up there and he was appalled. 'If I hadn't said please or thank you to our servants I would have been thrashed,' he explained, 'They are your source of wealth and comfort.' Went racing at Turfonien, great fun and a supurb curry served too!