TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have lived overseas for the past 11 years. My only UK income

Customer Question

I have lived overseas for the past 11 years. My only UK income is my MOD pension and I pay tax on it. Do I have to pay tax if I am no longer residing in the UK.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

As you receive a pension from the MOD, it will be what is called a government service pension as you can see here and will be taxable only in the UK unless the tax treaty between the UK and the country that you live in says otherwise. However, you will be entitled to a personal allowance if you fall into the criteria here to offset against it before any tax is calculated. If you were born after 5 April 1948, you should have a tax code of 1000L being operated against the pension. The personal allowances can be found here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.