TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

We have a rental property which we have let for several years.

Customer Question

In the last tax year (to 2014), we could not find a tenant, so for some of that period we allowed a family member to live there. Since this June 2014 we have been letting it again.
At the start of the tax year to 2013, i.e. when the house was let, we spent money on repairs and refurbishments for which we claimed against our tax payment.
How should we treat the one year gap in which the house was not let? The house has effectively gone from being rented, to not being rented, to being rented again.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Normally, so long as a property is available for letting after having been previously let, you can continue to claim the associated expenses. However, assuming the property was occupied by your relative rent free, you cannot claim any of the expenses you incurred in that period as you will read here unless it was available for commercial letting during that time and your relative could move out at short notice. As soon as it was available for letting again, you can claim the subsequent expenses.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi again.

It's been a few days since I answered your question but you don't appear to have read it. Is there anything you need further clarification on?