Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have been appointed as Executor of my mother's estate. I

I have been appointed as Executor of my mother's estate. I have completed and submitted her paper work and now have received Grant of Probate. Now all the money has been collected and bills have been paid it would seem that her estate is worth more than her allowance allows.
How do I ensure that any further tax liability is paid before I distribute the money as required by the Will?
Judith
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Judith
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
You just need to amend the Inheritance tax form submitted to HMRC and there is a form for you to do this.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inheritance-tax-corrective-account-c4
This will allow the correct details to be reported and any excess tax due to be calculated and paid over to HMRC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I complete this form myself or does it have to be done by a tax officer/advisor?

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your response
You complete this yourself.