TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My husband and I joint own a flat that we rent. Can one of

My husband and I joint own a flat that we rent. Can one of us file the tax return for the income received or do we have to split it between the two of us?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
HMRC will normally treat the rental income from that property as if it belonged to the couple equally and tax each on half the income accordingly.
A Declaration of Trust is a simple form of trust, which essentially states that although the legal title is owned by one or both parties, the beneficial interests (i.e. the right to receive income) is held by the party wishing to declare it on their tax return.
If you wish to show that one of you or the other will have the rent income on their return Form 17 and a copy of any new Declaration of Trust must be submitted to HMRC within 60 days of the change.
If you do not do this it is split between.