TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am leaving my current job on 12th January and starting a

I am leaving my current job on 12th January and starting a new job on 19th January. My new employer has asked me to complete a P46 form, stating that as I am starting on the 19th which is their payroll cut off, they will not be able to process me in time for January payroll so the P46 is required to ensure I am paid for January. However, can I just give them my P45 instead which I can get from my current employer before the 19th?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

The default position is that a P45 takes priority over a P46. A P46 is usually only completed in the absence of a P45. I cannot see why the new employer cannot set you up on the day you start and if you get your P45 on the day you leave your old job, you can give it to them before you start, though that is not usual practice. If the employer is saying they can set you up with a P46, they can do it with a P45.

Whereas in the past this was all done on paper the whole process is pretty much computerised these days and the new employer will inform HMRC that you are a new employee as soon as you start.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.