TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

How do I find my Tax Reference No.?

How do I find my Tax Reference No.?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
The tax reference number will usually be displayed on a Tax Numberpayslip each time a person is paid. Any documents from your employer or pension provider will have the tax reference number displayed.
The tax reference number should not be confused with a Unique Taxpayer Reference number.
The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is only issued by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) when you, or your tax professional, have registered for Self Assessment. It is made up of 10 numbers, for example(###) ###-#### ***** can be found on documentation issued by HMRC such as the Tax Return (SA100), a 'Notice to complete a Tax Return' (SA316) or a Statement of Account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reason I am asking for a Tax Reference no. is that my husband C.R. Cowan passed away on 23rd February 2014 and I have received a Self Assessment Statement Tax Reference 62564 58761 and my Accountant is now asking for my Number which to the best of my knowledge I do not have as I have not been employed.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello Betty,
Please accept my condolences.
Let your accountant know that you have not been assigned a tax reference number.
When you register for the first time you’ll get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. Your accountant should be able to take care of that for you.