Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Was employed by small business for 25 years . Was paid cash

Was employed by small business for 25 years . Was paid cash in hand . Asked about my tax after about 5 years . Was 18 when started was Nieve . When told he was not paying any felt trapped and afraid to do anything . Business folded in August . I'm now left with no p45 or p60 . And afraid to contact hmrc direct can you advise me
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.
Are you in a position of about to start employment or claiming benefits? Are you being asked after the last 25 years?
Although there is some issue with the fact you knew no tax or National Insurance was being deducted and ideally you would have contacted HMRC before now, this still falls into being a failure on behalf of the employer rather than you.
On the upside, if the employer was still trading it is likely that HMRC would look to them to make good the amount owed, but as they are not, they have no recourse to recoup the monies owed.
On the downside you have clearly not had any National Insurance paid towards a state pension nor have an entitlement to any state benefits as you have no National Insurance record.
But please advise what your near future plans are with respect to employment etc.