TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Hi, I own a property that is solely in my name and the

I own a property that is solely in my name and the mortgage is solely in my name.
The rental income is paid directly into my partner's bank account and she is a lower rate tax payer. I am a higher rate tax payer.
Do I have to include on my self assessment and pay the higher rate on this income? Or can my partner pay income tax at the lower rate?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Husbands and wives or civil partners living together should generally be treated as entitled in equal shares to income from jointly held property. As you hold the property yourself you would have to declare the rental. You could not reassign the income to your partner unfortunately.
This rule will not apply if you held the property jointly.