How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15739
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Hi, I own a property that is solely in my name and the

Resolved Question:

I own a property that is solely in my name and the mortgage is solely in my name.
The rental income is paid directly into my partner's bank account and she is a lower rate tax payer. I am a higher rate tax payer.
Do I have to include on my self assessment and pay the higher rate on this income? Or can my partner pay income tax at the lower rate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.
Husbands and wives or civil partners living together should generally be treated as entitled in equal shares to income from jointly held property. As you hold the property yourself you would have to declare the rental. You could not reassign the income to your partner unfortunately.
This rule will not apply if you held the property jointly.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you