taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I provide consultancy to a Swiss based company. I invoice for

I provide consultancy to a Swiss based company. I invoice for my services and separately for my foreign expenses (flights etc.). Does my invoice for expenses, when paid, count as revenue towards the £81k threshold or do I not have to include it as the place of supply is outside the EU ?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Invoices for services rendered are vatable supplies and count towards the threshold for VAT registration.

Invoices for disbursements can be taxable supplies (if incidental costs) and therefore count towards the threshold.

More information on what is is vatable or not can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/vat-costs-or-disbursements-passed-to-customers

I hope this is helpful and answrrs your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, just to clarify: are business expenses that I incur in Switzerland, that are paid to me by my Swiss client and to which I apply no mark up, classed as services rendered and therefore count towards the VAT threshold ? Thanks, David

Thank you for your reply..

In order for disbursements to be excluded from VAT calculation all of the conditions have to be met (as listed in the guidance notes), including
- you pass on the exact amount of each cost to your customer when you invoice them.

I hope this is helpful