bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I live in the UK. I have the opportunity to work Swiss

Customer Question

I live in the UK. I have the opportunity to work for a Swiss company and be employed by them direct (not as agency or self employed) and they send my pay to my UK bank account each month. I will pay Swiss tax on my earnings through the company as a Swiss employee. I will spend 99 or more days per annum in Switzerland (9 days per month for about 11 months of the year) and about another 25 days per year travelling internationally. The remainder of time I will working for them in the UK. I understand there is a tax agreement between the UK and Switzerland. Will I have to pay UK tax and NI on the difference between the tax paid in Switzerland and the tax/NI that would have been due in the UK ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
You are correct, there is a Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Switzerland. In general terms, as far as individuals are concerned, the purpose of such treaties is to preclude the same income stream being taxed in both jurisdictions. As your Swiss employers will be deducting tax from your emoluments then that tax deducted will be allowed as a tax credit against any UK taxation liability on the same income. The only amount for settlement might come from a variation in rates of taxation between the two countries.
As you will be spending over 183 days in the tax year in the UK you will be classed as resident and liable for UK Income Tax on your whole income world wide, but the tax credit system from the Treaty will relieve you of much, if not all, of that burden.
So in response to the last sentence of your enquiry, yes you will be responsible for paying the difference, if any, between the two systems.
I do hope I have shed some light on your possible situation should you take up the appointment.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks, ***** ***** advice re the tax but I'm still not clear on whether I would also have to pay the UK NI as well? Best regards, David

As far as I can see David, as you will be in Switzerland for less than three months in the year, then you will not be liable for Swiss NI. You will need to have travel insurance, particularly heath insurance.
have a look at this Swiss Government web site on the matter:
https://www.ch.ch/en/social-insurance-foreign-nationals/
The first paragraph is highly relevant.
You will therefore have to pay UK NI to keep your card stamped to quote an old saying.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's excellent. Thank you very much. David

Delighted to be of assistance.
Please don't forget my rating.
Thank you for your support.