Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Sam. I relocated in Dec 2013 and am getting £8000

Hi Sam. I relocated for work in Dec 2013 and am getting £8000 from work towards relocation expenses. This will cover a proportion of the stamp duty. I have incurred many other expenses in the move eg travel to look for a house, removal fees, solicitors fees etc, and I am wondering whether I can claim any of them back against tax in my self assessment tax form? Thanks.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question and asking for me.
I am afraid HMRC only allow up to £8000 as a tax free (which will already be covered by the employer for you) so any additional costs, I am afraid are to be borne by you, and no further tax reliefs are due.
Link here that determines that position
https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-relocation/overview
I am sorry the news is not better.