bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

If my only income is the tax free portion of my pension plus

Customer Question

If my only income is the tax free portion of my pension plus some taxable but below the threshold where I'd owe tax, do I have to file a tax return?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.
Well, yes and no, you would only have to make an annual self assessment tax return if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source. It is likely that your tax office will tell you not to bother as there is little mileage in processing returns which yield no revenue. Initially, they may want you to complete one and will send you a form if this is the situation.
in my opinion you almost certainly do not, but if HMRC request a return you mist comply.
I do hope I have shed some light on your situation for you.
Thank you for your support.