Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I began a project in June in Doha, Qatar. I travel there for

I began a project in June in Doha, Qatar. I travel there for ~11 days at a time, then return for 3 days, then repeat. Can anyone advise whether I may be able to save tax as non-resident or non-domicile?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question
I am afraid as you have not left the UK to live and work abroad, and also have a regular pattern of days in and out of the UK, then you cannot be considered for the non residency rules.
You either have to move to Qatar with your family and live and work there, for at least one full tax year, making sure visits back to the UK do not exceed more than 90 days OR
If family remain in the UK, then not work on a shift basis, as this shows that your home remains to be considered the UK, due to the regular pattern forming in relation to your return visits (although you would appear to spend less than 90 days in the UK when a whole tax year is considered this does not fall within the remit on non residency) And for information non domicile is not a consideration either and its actually the residency that affects the tax position)
So this being the case you should remain liable to tax in the UK on this overseas income and should declare this to HMRC for them to assess you tax position after each 5th April
Do let me know if you wish me to expand on any of the information provided.