taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am 72 years old and have had tax demand for £2784.88, but

Customer Question

I am 72 years old and have had tax demand for £2784.88, but revenue has only given my personal allowance as £9440.00 when surely it should be £10500.00
My total income received was £34611.00
regards
Ray Tilbury
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Your personal allowance of £10,500 is reduced if net income exceeds £26,100. Your allowance would go down by £1 for every £2 that your adjusted net income exceeds this threshold.

Your earnings were £34,611 and they are (34,611-26,100) £8,511 over the threshold to avail higher personal allowance. This would trigger the reduction of £1 for every £2 over £26,100. Maximum reduction in personal allowance (10,500-9,440) £1,060

It is for this reason that your personal allowance has been reduced to Basic allowance of £9,440.

More information on personal allowances is covered here

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates/born-before-6-april-1948

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. Please only rate it if my answer is acceptable to you.