TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

13/14 Tax Return, I have a CGT loss sold

13/14 Tax Return, I have a CGT loss sold in June 2013. The shares were purchased in 2000 higher amount so I know there is a loss, however the paperwork when I purchased the shares are somewhere in storage as I have moved home several times since 2000. I therefore cannot remember the amount they were purchased I do know it was much higher. I won't be able to access this paperwork before the Jan 31st deadline. If I do not declare this loss in this tax year, can I claim it in my next return (2014-15)?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

.

You shouldn't disclose a 2013/14 capital loss in your 2015 tax return. What I suggest you do is use an estimate cost of the shares in your 2014 return, mark the appropriate box that says you are using an estimate and when you have access to your storage, put right the calculation of the loss and submit an amended tax return.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.