Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Sam Self Assessment Tax Return, I'm not sure

Self Assessment Tax Return, I'm not sure what the question means:
Are you liable to pension savings tax charges?
I currently pay into a pension at work under a government scheme as I work in the public sector. Is this relevant to me?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks question and
This probably is not relevant to you, as you pay your contributions directly from your salary prior to taxation so the amounts you pay are closely monitored and based on a % of the income you earn.
This section relates to those that pay over the annual limit (currently £40,000) and have received a notification from their personal pension plan provider, of the excess, and they then report the excess at this section of the self assessment tax return