bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have been working in Saudi Arabia since 9 Oct 2013, with

Customer Question

I have been working in Saudi Arabia since 9 Oct 2013, with only 9 days in the UK since that time. I am paid from a UK company, in UK£. I have a property in the UK, which my Daughter lives in, and I get no income from this property. Will I be able to claim back the tax I have paid since Oct 2013? And will I be able to go tax free future?
Andrew
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Andrew, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. I bring good news, you should be able to get all the moneys deducted from your emoluments during your overseas service back in due course.
When you left the UK in October 2013 you should have sent a Form P85 to your tax office. If you did not so submit, don't worry, there is no time limit procedure and the form, which includes directions of overpaid tax, is available from the net and can be rendered on line. On receipt of this form HMRC would class you as non resident tax year following October 2013 [ie 14/15] and furthermore split the year of leaving [13/14] into two portions, one resident and one non resident.
Once all this is done then HMRC would normally issue a revised tax coding your UK employer to reflect your non resident status thus ensuring that your employer pays your income tax free.
When you eventually return to the UK you advise your tax office and the reverse situation takes place.
I do hope that I have solved your little problem . It is actually very easy and will take you but a few moments.
Thank you support.